Okay, so I am so, so, so very sorry that I haven't written in like a week, but I have been extremely sick. I would come home everyday, sleep for an hour and then rush through my homework- but when the long weekend rolled around, all I did was SLEEP (literally), I would take a two hour nap and then stay up for an hour and then go back to sleep- it felt amazing! Sooooooooooooooooooo, now I am here at 11:00 at night, the day before school starts, to finish all my assignments (but I wasn't here on Friday as I left early, so I can't do the refelction about the community center ) :]...
Roxy Paine

Roxy Paine was born in New York during the year of 1966. He studied at the College of Sante Fe, NM from 1986 to 1987 and then Pratt Institute, NY from 1987 to 1989. His artwork depicts the connection nature has with technology. For instance, he uses machines to create realistic pieces from nature like mushrooms, or plants, or trees. Also he states in a interview with João Ribas, "We’re incredibly complicated constructions of nature, and I want this incredible awe of nature to be there when you look at my work." He has created a very thin border between nature, technology, and humans, which has brought up many contreversies/ questions of what the "border" really is. He also believes in making sculptures of what a normal human being may think as repulsive, but when viwed with an unbiased mind, a beautiful piece of work. His work has been displayed at places like the De Pont Museum of Contemporary Art, Tilburg, The Netherlands; Israel Museum, Jerusalem; Museum of Modern Art, New York, NY; Wanas Foundation, Knislinge, Sweden;Montenmedio Arte Contemporaneo NMAC, Cadiz, Spain; and many more. 
Sources:
1. http://store.metmuseum.org/Met-Publications/Roxy-Paine/invt/80003131
2. http://www.jamescohan.com/artists/roxy-paine/bio/
3. http://www.artinfo.com/news/story/9448/roxy-paine/?page=1
4. http://www.artnet.com/artist/697023/roxy-paine.html
This is great. Full of information, links, images, everything. BRava!
ReplyDeleteLuke