My Artistic Statement
Kadambari Suri
If someone was to ever ask you, what would you use to define yourself as a person, what would your answer be? In my case, this is EXACTLY what I have been asked to do, as well as connecting that to my art, so here goes…
I have been dancing for as long as I can remember- but began taking professional classes from age 7. The reason was not that my mother was a professional dancer and had pushed me, but instead because I had fallen in love with it, and the whole concept of telling a story through physical movements. On the other hand, acting was introduced to me. In my pre-school, an agency had come and interviewed us kids, from which I was chosen, and therefore able to discover what pleasure could be found from becoming somebody else.
I dance and act because of the individuality I can include in it. In dance, I can follow my structure in which I break the music in to sections- to reach a certain level of organization, one of my core values. Furthermore, I can portray any expression through my hands, body language, and facial expression that my heart feels fit for a certain part, because not one dancer is created to dance like another or one actor to portray a role the same way.
My desire to feel a certain connection, also a core value is fulfilled. I wish for the audience to, say in acting, experience the emotions, or in dancing, feel that adrenaline rush I feel while performing- to make them get up in their seats, or have them WANT to clap. And on another level, to feel a connection with God (in the case of dancing). In my culture, we pray before we dance as an apology to the Mother Earth for “stomping” on her, as well as to show the Gods that what we will be doing is an offering for them.
My future goals. These include: spreading my knowledge on dance- learning other forms of dance, besides the ones that I have learnt or attempted to teach myself, and in acting, to learn how to act as one with the character, in the sense of not being uncomfortable doing that certain action.
And therefore my answer can be summed up in two words. Dance. Drama.
No comments:
Post a Comment