Monday, March 29, 2010

A post from my other blog....

pg. 217 "He argues that 'man's' main concern is not to gain pleasure or to avoid pain but reather to see a meaning in his life. Our fundamental drive, the motivational engine that powers human exsistence, is the pursuit of meaning."
This applies so much to my life/ want I want from my future- I want to be able to say that I helped somebody live...and I have been thinking, that if I do go into medical, then what about Doctor's without Borders? Yet, I want to start now, and that too, without making excuses.

pg. 219 "But there are 2 practical, whole-minded ways for individuals, families, and businesses to begin the search for meaning: start taking spirituality seriously and start taking happiness seriously."This is for me...I really can't explain.

2 comments:

  1. Those are great quotes. I think it's true that meaning comes before the avoidance of pain, which at first sounds crazy...but it's true. I think once you lose all meaning in your life, when you lose your purpose, that's when you are dead inside. Lack of meaning leads to a lack of life. Even if you can't start physically saving lives yet, you can find meaning simply in a conversation or a walk through a beautiful forest. There is meaning everywhere, and unfortunately we often ignore it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry....i had to re-post your comments on my other site (i had by mistakenly posted it here)
    oh and i like what you said...you write with such "grace"

    ReplyDelete